Wednesday 30 December 2015

Starryluvly is dead

As a few of you might know, this is my second blog. My original blog, which was started in 2003, has not been updated since this blog was started and I was planning on migrating more posts here but alas that is no longer possible... as UberGlobal, has, in their words, DESTROYED my service.

To say I am gutted by this development is an understatement. While I do have back ups of the blog, they are a few years old (yes, my bad for not checking if my automated backup process was working as it should).

To be completely honest, I'd been thinking of deleting that blog for a long time anyway. Aside from the 10% of posts which would have made great nostalgic reading or were moments of sheer brilliance, most of my other posts were fluff. The writer who started blogging in 2003 was so different from the writer I am today. Additionally, I am pretty sure I would cringe from a good portion of my past posts, seeing how my romantic history was outlined in that blog too.

So to say that I am devastated that my original blog is gone would be an exaggeration. I am miffed that I didn't get a chance to thoroughly sift through my archives but oh well. At least I managed to extract some posts.

What I am most disgusted by is the lack of professionalism by Uber Global. They said they emailed me with notifications - which I never received. Very strange considering I have received every other email ever since I signed up with them. Their emails from this year aren't even in my spam mailbox.

Whether they sent emmails or not, the most shocking thing is that they DO NOT have any fallbacks. For one, you would have thought that as a tech company, that they would have the capability to see if their emails have been read by the receiver. I mean seriously, if even a non-profit company like the one I work at, has the technology to review their marketing campaigns to see which users have read our emails or click our embedded links, they should be able to do MUCH MORE.

More importantly, they didn't even think to call me before deleting my website. And by deleting, I mean deleting its online presence AND all available backups. And lest you think I being unreasonable, all this happened within a month and backups deleted within 7 days of site shutdown. Which is pretty shoddy considering that most tech companies keep data for at least 3 months.

The customer service rep I dealt with was supercilious. "We're a big company, it would take up so much time/manpower if we were to call everyone" and "well, you didn't update your credit card on our website. I update everything when I get a new credit card". Thanks a bunch, Heinrich. Where did you get your customer service training from?

Moral of the story: don't trust Uber Global. And back everything up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little corner of the blogosphere. I will endeavour to reply each and every comment :)